The National Lawyers Guild’s National Office organized a webinar on the situation of the refugee caravan on the U.S.-Mexico border on November 28, 2018. The NLG is working with many organizations to coordinate legal support for refugees and asylum seekers in the caravan as well as legal observers monitoring the situation of people in the caravan and their interactions with police, security forces, immigration agencies and other government officials. With short notice, over 200 people joined this webinar live, and the full video is now available online.
The NLG’s working group on the caravan includes staff at the National Office, the Mesoamerica Subcommittee, the International Committee, the Task Force on the Americas, the Mass Defense Committee, the Military Law Task Force, the National Immigration Project and many other concerned and active Guild members.
Speakers for the webinar include:
- Natasha Lycia Ora Bannan – NLG past president and LatinoJustice PRLDEF staff attorney
- Joseph P. Berra – Project Director, UCLA School of Law
- Erika Pinheiro – immigration attorney, Al Otro Lado
Watch online: https://vimeo.com/303583814
Guild members can help support the caravan work in a number of ways:
- Sign up to volunteer legal support (law students, attorneys, legal workers)
- Donate to help support the Mesoamerica Subcommittee’s work to bring Mexican lawyers to support the caravan and train legal observers in Mexico: https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NDU2NDE=
- Donate to help cover legal fees via Al Otro Lado: www.alotrolado.org/take-action/donate
- Donate to caravan expenses via Pueblo Sin Fronteras: www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/support-the-migrant-caravan
Past NLG webinar recordings are available at nlg.org/public-webinars.