LAUNCHING THE PEOPLE’S ACADEMY OF INTERNATIONAL LAW
Register for our first class!
Friday, November 3
9 am PT – 12 pm ET – 4 pm UTC
Interpretation available in English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Portuguese
NOTE: This will be a three-hour course!
The People’s Academy of International Law, which is sponsored by the International Association of Democratic Lawyers, seeks to help progressive and anti-imperialist lawyers and human rights defenders globally to marshal the tools of international law to support people’s struggles.
Join our first course, scheduled to begin on 3 November 2023: The Charter of the United Nations: Its genesis, essential principles and relevance today.
Register to be taught by recognized experts in international law, from UN Special Rapporteurs to legal academics to people’s lawyers with decades of experience using international law and legal mechanisms to protect human rights. This course has an anti-imperialist, people and earth-centered view of international law, designed to support practitioners and movements. Course materials and education will be in English, French, Spanish and potentially other languages.
The Charter, its genesis, essential principles and relevance today
- History of the Charter, the role and respective positions of the allied powers, and the antifascist resistance, controversial issues of its drafting including the absence of a right of peoples to self-determination
- Aims and principles – Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms; UN definition of “rule of law”
- Sovereign equality and non-intervention in domestic affairs
- Prohibition of the Use of Force and exceptions, the possibility of restriction by Right to Peace
- Modes of conflict settlement between States
Faculty for Class 1A:
- Marjorie Cohn
- Phyllis Bennis
- Sujith Xavier
- Jeanne Mirer
Register and learn more: https://peoplesacademy.net/register