Eric Sirotkin of the Lawyers for Disarmament and Peace in Korea (www.ldpk.org), the Ubuntuworks Education Project and the National Lawyers Guild invites you to a scheduled Zoom webinar. Mr. Sirotkin, a long time human rights attorney and author will present based upon his many trips to both North and South Korea as well as work with the US Congress and State Department on peaceful approaches to resolve this long standing conflict.
Topic: Looming War In Korea: What keeps peace so elusive and what can be done? : Everything you want to know about Korea, but that the US Government wants you afraid to ask
Time: Aug 21, 2017 5:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada) / 8:00 Eastern Time
The webinar will include the following:
1. History of the conflict, including the US military presence and history in Korea,
2, The current role of the US in Korea and the region;
3. The past efforts at North/South Reconciliation.
4. The new Moon Jae-in administration in Korea and how a progressive lawyer as President is making a difference;
5. Motivations for Instability in the region – Economic, racial and geo-political factors.
6. The legal and political arguments for peace.
7. The history of prior agreements and their breaches;
8. Basic suggestions for moving forward toward a peace treaty, demilitarization and non-proliferation.
9. Coalition building – Expanding the Lawyers for Demilitarization and Peace and Building alliances with South Korean Peace and progressive lawyer groups.
10. Talking Points and Outreach.
HERE IS HOW TO REGISTER: Space is limited.
Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Please share this with your members and others who may be interested in a progressive approach to the standoff in Korea.