The National Lawyers Guild Labor & Employment Committee serves as program consultant to Marazul Charters, a licensed travel service provider, on an annual research program in Cuba. The program consists of an international conference and a professional research program. Labor lawyers, trade unionists and neutrals have been a part of these delegations since 2000. In the winter of each year, Marazul and the L&E Committee announce the annual program.
The 2018 brochure is now available here. Sign-ups and deposits should arrive by February 15, 2018.
The 2017 conference focused on the following topics (click here for more details):
- Labor Rights in the 21st century: its nature, its formulation.
- Experiences in the coordination of actions to defend labor rights. The Latin American Socio-labor Charter.
- Labor reforms: their impact on job stability and the protection of workers’ rights and against various forms of discrimination in employment.
- The working class, the union movement, and labor law in the 21st century.
- The right to information and to the paricipation of workers in enterprise management.
- Safety and health at work and occupational risk prevention. Harmful substances in the workplace.
- Self-employed and cooperative workers (production and services).
The Conference is endorsed by the NLG L&EC, the Labor Law Society of the National Union of Cuban Jurists (UNJC), the Central de Trabajadores de Cuba (CTC), the Brazilian Association of Labor Lawyers (ABAL), and the Association of Labor Lawyers of Argentina (AALA).
The Conference is preceded by a research project where, consistent with the conference themes, delegates visit Cuban workplaces and interview workers, union leaders and labor lawyers. Upon return to the United States, the delegation publishes a report of the results of their research and conference participation.
The 2017 trip was in Cuba from March 4 to March 12, 2017.
(See photos here. Photo above courtesy of Tate & Renner)
- Day 1
- Depart US and arrive Havana
- Delegation briefing / orientation
- Welcome event
- Days 2 – 4
- Bilateral Exchange and Research in Pinar de Rio
- Days 5 – 7
- International Conference
- Day 8
- Closing event
- Day 9
- Return to US
Download the brochure: 2018-LEC-Brochure