CLE Registration: Protecting Our Future – Defend Voting Rights and Mitigate Climate Change
NLG International Committee CLE 2018: Protecting Our Future – Defend Voting Rights and Mitigate Climate Change
This CLE will take place on Thursday, November 1 from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the NLG Law for the People Convention in Portland, Oregon (at the Benson Hotel,309 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205) . NLG Convention participants, non-participants and all interested lawyers, legal workers and law students are welcome to join.
Join the National Lawyers’ Guild International Committee for this informative and incisive CLE program in which active practitioners will present on two major human rights issues and the application of international law in the United States.
- CLE faculty will address the massive attack on voting rights across the United States. Across the country, massive voter purges are stripping thousands from the rolls, and this is having a vastly disproportionate effect on Black communities and other communities of color, particularly working-class people. How can we fight effectively to defend the right to vote? Practitioners will discuss domestic and international law strategies in use in cases across the country.
- CLE faculty will also address the rights of the earth and children, under attack even more as environmental protections are rolled back in support of corporate interests even as climate change poses a severe threat to the future. Around the world, climate change under capitalism is producing mass displacement and poverty. Children and youth have filed a lawsuit, Juliana v. United States, alleging that unchecked climate change violates the rights of children.
The CLE will include active examples of the use of international law in relevant contexts to defend human rights in the United States.
- CLE Registration for those earning over $50,000/yr – $50:
- CLE Registration for those earning $35-50,000/yr – $25:
- CLE Registration for those earning under $35,000/yr – $15 :
- CLE Registration for those who are unemployed or have no income is free. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will register you!
Click here for your total check-out:
CLE faculty to be announced shortly!