There are three important webinars of interest on May 14, 2020 for International Committee members. Please send your webinars and online events to firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure they are listed here!
- USPCN National Webinar in commemoration of the Nakba – moderated by IC Co-Chair Suzanne Adely. Thursday, 14 May, 11:30 am Pacific/1:30 Central/2:30 EasternWatch on Facebook Live: https://facebook.com/USPCN
This webinar will feature former political prisoner, torture survivor and community leader Rasmea Odeh and George Khoury, moderated by Suzanne Adely. Organized by the US Palestinian Community Network.
- Fighting for Housing Justice: Movement Lawyers and Housing Activists on COVID-19 and the Urgent Struggle for Homes for All. Thursday, May 14, 12:30 pm PT/ 3:30 pm ET
REGISTER ONLINE: bit.ly/NLGHousingWebinar
From rent strikes to the occupation of vacant homes, from encampments self-organizing to provide mutual aid to growing demands to cancel rent and decommodify housing, movements for housing justice are rapidly expanding in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis. Hear from organizers at the forefront of radical housing movements of tenants and the unhoused, and the movement lawyers supporting the call for housing justice.
Sponsored by the NLG Housing and Homelessness Committee
- Hannah Adams, Attorney and Board Member of Jane Place Neighborhood Sustainability Initiative; NLG Louisiana member
- Kenia Alcocer, Co-Director of Union de Vecinos and organizer with the Los Angeles Tenants Union
- Nicole Deane, Oakland Lead Organizer, ACCE
- Alicia Kuhl, President of the Santa Cruz Chapter of the California Homeless Union
- Anthony Prince, Legal Counsel to the California Homeless Union and the National Union of the Homeless; NLG Housing & Homelessness Committee Co-Chair
- Leah Simon-Weisberg, Legal Director for Anti-Displacement and Land Use Programs, ACCE; NLG SF Bay Area member
- Frank Southhall, Lead Organizer, Jane Place Neighborhood Sustainability Initiative and the New Orleans Renters Rights Assembly
- Jackie Zaneri, Tenants’ Rights Staff Attorney at Centro Legal de la Raza
- Defend Workers Under Violent Attack in the Philippines! Thursday, May 14, 6 pm PT/9 pm ET
Register online: https://bit.ly/KMUmay14
Tune in to a webinar with Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) Chairperson Elmer “Ka Bong” Labog on
Thursday, May 14 @6pm P/9pm E, to learn more about the situation on the
ground and how people in the US can take action in solidarity with Filipino
workers. The KMU is the largest alliance of trade unions in the Philippines.
Duterte is increasingly using the cover of the COVID-19 pandemic to
increase repression targeting labor. This past week, elements of the 202nd
Brigade of the Philippine Army and the Philippine National Police
CALABARZON Regional Office were deployed to Barangay Pulo, Cabuyao, Laguna
to harass, conduct surveillance on, and intimidate members of KMU’s
regional chapter PAMANTIK-KMU and labor federation OLALIA-KMU. The police
and military are also questioning and harassing other community members,
and trying to paint the KMU members as rebels.